Resolved

Update by user Jul 20

I would like to update my review.Today I was contacted by Julie of customer service from Whole Foods Market in Vancouver.

She apologized to me on behalf of the company, as well as made restorations for the situation they caused.

She did confirm that my gift cards were indeed valid, and left them intact for future use.I am happy with the apology, and would like to make sure everyone knows, Whole Foods did right by me with their apology and restorations.

Original review posted by user Jul 20

I just left the Vancouver Washington store where I brought two gift cards which I received from Chase Visa as a "rewards program".I attempted to pay with the gift cards at which time your cashier said she could not take them as they were fraudulent.

I asked to speak to the manager and Leslie Wallace came up and said the gift cards were fraudulent and would not even attempt to scan them. I asked her to call someone above her, and she said she was in charge, and there was no need, and would not do so. I paid for my purchase with cash and credit card and came home and called The Whole Foods Corporate phone number which I got from their official web site. (512)477-4455, and then keyed in the gift card prompt for gift card support.

I spoke with Beverly at approximately 3:00 o'clock Washington time. She verified both cards were indeed issued by Chase Bank as rewards, each had 100 dollars on them available. She said the store manager had no business deciding whether the cards were valid or not, and should have called Corporate to validate them. Beverly said she would call the store manager to let her know they were valid.

I called the store back at 3:12 p.m., asked to speak with a manager, and Leslie came to the phone. I asked her to call your Corporate office and verify the validity of my gift cards and she told me "I don't have to do that, because they are fraudulent". Why in the world would I ask her to call Whole Foods corporate office if they are fraudulent???????? I spend approximately 800 dollars a month EVERY SINGLE month at this store purchasing a special kind of meat for my dog who suffers from a deadly stomach ailment.

This is how the local store management treats customers? I asked her why she did not call Corporate when I was standing in line, trying to pay and her answer was that "I don't have to because they are fraudulent". So here I am with 200 in gift cards, which Whole Foods Corporate office deemed valid, and the store manager still won't take them. To say the least this was unnecessarily embarrassing to me, in the line at the store, as I feel that Leslie was talking down at me, and the customers behind me in line scowled at me and said the word "thief.

I believe that was caused by how this manager was talking at me. The store has wasted 1 1/2 hours of my time (I live 45 minutes away from this store), and the store manager is holding 200 of my money hostage. Legitimately, with Corporate telling me the cards are good, whose the thief? I called the store again at about 5:45 p.m.

and spoke with Leslie again, and she was trying to verify that these numbers are indeed valid, but had not been able to. I grilled her for about 3 minutes, and insisted I could not believe this as when I called Corporate, I got through to them within 30 seconds, and it took Beverly all but 40 seconds or so to confirm their validity. After confronting Leslie, she admitted that she did INDEED CONFIRM THE CARDS ARE LEGITIMATE NUMBERS, BUT SHE WOULD STILL NOT ACCEPT THE GIFT CARDS. As the story changed, then it became a problem that the cards had "remove before use" stickers on them.

When I told her they all come that way, she then changed her story and said "oh no, that's the wrong kind of sticker on your cards". She requested I get her pictures of the cards, which I did and she verified she received, and told me she would continue to look into the matter tomorrow. She said she had to forward the pictures to her Corporate office at your Corporate office's request because the cards I presented did not come from Whole Foods. I promptly called back Gift card services, from the phone number on the Corporate website and spoke with Mary, and requested reimbursement for these cards as the store manager is refusing to honor them, and was told Corporate over getting me a refund because they are issued by a third party, NOT FROM WHOLE FOODS.

As you can see, the story is 'EVOLVING" and changing between the people at Corporate and the store manager. Corporate says the cards are issued by a third party and the store manager says they are ONLY issued by Whole Foods. I feel like this is deceptive business practices, I will be calling and writing Chase Bank as well to let them know what is happening.

I hope you can appreciate my frustration.I want these cards honored, as Whole Foods corporate says they should be.

Review about: Whole Foods Market Manager.

I didn't like: I felt targeted and discriminated against.

Had an Experience with Whole Foods Market?

Comments

h.kitchener
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1352407

I would contact Chase and tell them what is happening and request they do something about it---like cancelling out the cards, re-establishing your rewards credits so you can use your rewards for something that can actually be used.Chase said these things were valid, they are not, so it is Chase's responsibility to correct the problem.

Forget about Whole Foods entirely and shop elsewhere.But, have Chase correct the problem, not you.